We’re in the midst of some crazy climate change heat wave here in Virginia. I swear, it’s 100 degrees outside with 100% humidity (unless its 6am, then it’s perfect outside). On days like these, I crave something just like this sparkling cucumber mint cocktail. It’s light, not too sweet with just the right amount of bubbles and after a day hanging out with my two year old, a cocktail is more than welcome. I love this drink because it reminds me so much of cucumber spa water with an added kick and a buzz.
Benefits of Cucumbers
- Protect the brain and fight inflammation- the anti-inflammatory properties of cucumbers not only aid in reducing unwanted inflammation throughout the body they also can improve memory and protect against age related brain degredation diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
- Reduce the risk of cancer- Cucumbers are packed with nutrients and antioxidants that protect against cancers such as prostate, uterine, breast and ovarian cancers.
- Freshen breath- Cucumbers rid your mouth of odor causing bacteria and also release excess heat in the stomach which is the main cause of bad breath.
- Manage stress- Cucumbers are packed with B vitamins which are known to ease the effects of stress and anxiety.
- Support healthy digestion- Cucumbers are perfect for aiding in healthy digestion because they are mostly water and fiber. The skins of the cucumbers contain insoluble fiber which adds bulk to the stool allowing it to move through the digestive system more easily.
- Help with weight maintenance- Cucumbers are incredibly low in calories but high in fiber which means that you will stay fuller longer on less calories.
- Heart healthy- Cucumbers contain potassium which researchers have associated with lower blood pressure and healthier hearts.
- 2-3 slices of cucumber
- 3-4 mint leaves
- 1 tsp stevia simple syrup
- 1 shot vodka
- 6 oz prosecco
- Place the cucumber, mint leaves and simple syrup at the bottom of your glass and muddle (smash).
- Add your shot of vodka and fill to the top with prosecco.
- You can make your own stevia simple syrup or buy it from the store or amazon.
Stevia Simple Syrup