I’m in love with this quinoa salad because it brings back so many amazing memories. Brandon and I went to the beautiful west coast on our honeymoon. We spent most of the time in San Francisco but we also made our way up to Sonoma and Napa Valley for a wine tour. It was beautiful, it really was. About halfway through we stopped at William Hill Winery and had lunch with the most breathtaking wine country view of rolling vines. The tour company we were using had set up a little lunch which featured an amazing quinoa salad just like this one. If we’re being honest, it was the first time I had ever even heard of quinoa and we were like, “what is this amazing stuff?”
So What is Quinoa?
What you eat is a seed from a grain crop. 1 serving of quinoa is approximately 120 calories and a great vegan, gluten-free source of protein, fiber, B vitamins, folate, iron, manganese, zinc, magnesium and phosphorus.
- 1 cup regular quinoa
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- 1 yellow squash, cubed
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 3-4 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, destemmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- white pepper
- kosher salt
- Wash quinoa in several changes of water and drain in a sieve. Bring broth to a boil. Add quinoa and chopped onions, reduce heat, cover and boil for 20 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and place in the fridge to cool (about 20 minutes).
- Once quinoa has cooled add remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Toss together to mix and serve!
- This is a great recipe for cookouts or picnics but it can also serve as a full meal on it's own!