This is a sponsored post that contains affiliate links. That being said, all of the opinions are my own true feelings and beliefs. I do not write about things that I don’t enjoy myself. I received a free Silpat for the purpose of reviewing it for my readers.
Happy early Mother’s Day to all my mommas out there in the world! I’ve got a surprise for you! Is the surprise these delicious homemade Whole Wheat Soft Pretzels? No, that’s just a bonus.
Whole Wheat Soft Pretzels
Growing up we ate a lot of those freezer soft pretzels that you microwave. We used to dump loads of coarse salt on top. Mom couldn’t keep the freezer stocked with them for more than a few days between me, my sister and my big brother.
I have to admit, sometimes I still crave those salty, soft delicious babies. The problem is that I can’t consciously buy them for my family, so I came up with these 100% Whole Wheat Pretzels. One bite and I’m instantly taken back to my childhood.
These are so simple to begin with but I when I found the Silpat I learned that they can be made even simpler! If you’ve never heard of Silpat before, it’s a silicone baking mat that is meant to replace the need for parchment paper. I found out it’s so much more useful than parchment paper!
Typically, with a dough recipe I need to use lots of extra flour to keep the dough from sticking to the surface. I did all of my kneading and rolling on the Silpat surface itself and didn’t need to use any extra flour at all.
The surface is beautifully nonstick, which also means when I’m baking chicken or veggies, I don’t have to lay down a layer of cooking oil underneath. This makes me so happy because extra unnecessary fats add lots of calories to dishes that, otherwise, don’t need it and they add up tremendously over time.
So whats the surprise?
I’ve got a Silpat to giveaway!
Simply post a photo of a mom you love (Instagram, Facebook or Twitter) and tell me something you love about them. Tag Motion Mom in the post and use the hashtag #MotionMomsDay. The more platforms you post on the more entries you get! It’s a perfect gift for Mother’s Day for any mom who loves to cook! I will announce the winner on Mother’s Day (Sunday May 8th) at 9am. You have until noon on Saturday May 8th to enter as many times as you like!
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 packet of rapid yeast
- 2 cups Whole Wheat flour
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Garlic Powder
- Heat water to between 100-117 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix water with maple syrup and yeast and allow to sit for about 4 minutes or until it bubbles
- Mix in the flour and olive oil and form into a uniform ball
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in a warm area for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until it doubles in size
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Break dough into 3 equal pieces and roll into long cylinders. I find it works best to roll it between my hands as it stretches to the floor and then finish on the Silpat or floured surface
- Bring two end pieces in and have them cross and pinch to seal together
- Brush tops of pretzels with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and garlic powder
- Cook for 10 minutes, allow to cool and enjoy!
- These end up being rather large pretzels. You could easily make 4 smaller pretzels with this recipe if desired. Just remember they will cook faster and therefore require less time in the oven.
- You can also freeze these for easy snacks!