I love overnight oats just as much as the next person (hence these) but sometimes I just want to wake up and eat a big ol’ warm bowl of hot oatmeal! These are dreamy and the best part is waking up to your house smelling like cinnamon apples.
Navigating the Oats Aisle
You may find yourself overwhelmed with choices when you visit the oatmeal section of the grocery store. You’ve got the choice of quick, instant, rolled, traditional, steel cut and endless flavor combinations. So what are the best choices?
- These cook the fastest but are also the most processed of the three types. They are cooked, pressed, cut, dried and pressed thinner than rolled oats.
- Also known as “Old Fashioned” oats these are steamed, dried and flattened and take a little longer to cook than instant oats but go through far less processing.
- Steel Cut
- Also known as Irish or Scottish oats these have the least processing of the three. The only processing that happens here is when the whole groat (grain oat) is cut into pieces but not cooked or flattened. Honestly when they are uncooked they look a little like the food you feed to the animals at the petting zoo (but don’t worry they taste the same as the others with just a slightly different texture). Steel cut oats tend to be lower in sugar, calories and lower on the glycemic index (more about that here) than instant and rolled so, although they take the most time to cook, they are the healthiest option of the three.
Most flavored oatmeals are full of refined sugar and junk. You are much better off buying the big bulk containers of unflavored oats and adding your own flavors! Not only is it better for your health but it’s also much better for your wallet and you can create whichever flavor combinations you like!
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 2 apples, cored and cubed
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 3 1/2 cups of water
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker, stir and cook on low heat for 8-9 hours.
- I make this just before I go to bed at night for an easy, delicious, healthy breakfast hot and ready for the family when we wake up.