Charlie adores waffles. They are the first thing on her mind when she wakes up in the morning. For the longest time I was buying the Nutri-grain Whole Wheat Eggos for Charlie (who eats them right out of the freezer still frozen), but there are a few aspects of their recipe that I’d like to avoid. Making the waffles at home, I can avoid the preservatives, the excess sodium, the processed sugar and the palm oil (which is causing major environmental crises in our rain forests). Food integrity is very important to me, and it didn’t take me more than 30 minutes to make and freeze these waffles for the whole week. Worth it.
Whole Wheat Can…
- Reduce the risk of heart disease
- Help with healthy digestion
- Help with weight management
…because of the high fiber content that helps you feel fuller faster and longer and ease digestion!
I lined them with parchment paper before freezing
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons of butter, melted
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 3/8 cup apple sauce
- 4 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- Turn on your waffle iron and get it nice and hot!
- Whisk together melted butter and eggs. Add almond milk, apple sauce, maple syrup and vanilla and whisk together.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Pour wet ingredients on top of dry ingredients and fold together. Only mix until combined, DO NOT over mix! It may be lumpy but let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Spray down waffle iron and ice cream scoop with cooking spray (I use coconut oil spray). 2 large ice cream scoops full will make one 6 inch waffle. Cook each waffle 4-5 minutes depending on your waffle iron.
- I halve these for an adult portion and serve with a side of fruit and maybe a bit of greek yogurt.
- If you are planning to freeze these make a double batch and cool them on a baking rack. Break the waffles into 4 pieces each. Wrap them in parchment paper, put them in a gallon plastic bag and place in the freezer. Now you have waffles for the whole week!