This garlic veggie grilled cheese is the perfect combination of traditional comfort food and veggies! I’d say it’s a grown up grilled cheese but the truth is, my 2 year old loves it too.
Veggies, sharp cheddar cheese and garlic unite to make the most delicious grilled cheese I’ve ever had. It’s so simple and so worth it.
In the south, we eat lots of cheese, and I’m not mad about it but I had to give one of my favorite childhood recipes some extra nutritional value. The mushrooms, eggplant and zucchini add essential vitamins, cancer fighting antioxidants and lots and lots of fiber. If you’re unaware of the health benefits of a high fiber diet consider this:
- It can lower your risk of heart disease
- It helps regulate your blood sugar
- It helps you feel full because they take longer to digest (and therefore aids in weight loss)
- It can help clear your complexion
- It will help you stay regular (and regular poops are essential to a body working at full capacity.)
In short, adding fiber to your diet regularly can vastly improve your overall health, and when it tastes this good, there’s no reason not to!
- Garlic Veggie Grilled Cheese2016-03-13 21:55:19Serves 2Write a reviewPrep Time10 minCook Time7 minTotal Time17 minPrep Time10 minCook Time7 minTotal Time17 min441 calories24 g59 g30 g20 g13 g173 g1849 g2 g0 g15 gNutrition FactsServing Size173gServings2Amount Per ServingCalories 441Calories from Fat 265% Daily Value *Total Fat 30g46%Saturated Fat 13g66%Trans Fat 0gPolyunsaturated Fat 2gMonounsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 59mg20%Sodium 1849mg77%Total Carbohydrates 24g8%Dietary Fiber 2g8%Sugars 2gProtein 20gVitamin A12%Vitamin C7%Calcium44%Iron14%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.Ingredients
- 1/3 cup eggplant (cubed)
- 1/3 cup zucchini (cubed)
- 1/3 cup mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of italian seasoning
- 4 slices of sharp white cheddar (I bought a block and sliced it myself)
- 2 ciabatta rolls (or your favorite bread)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet. Add eggplant and zucchini into skillet and cook until soft (about 2 minutes).
- Meanwhile open up your ciabatta rolls, place on a baking sheet and cover each side with sharp white cheddar cheese. Place in the oven and let cook until cheese is melted and bread is warm (approximately 4 minutes).
- Add mushrooms to skillet and sauté for 1 minute. Add garlic, salt, pepper and italian seasoning and sauté until fragrant (about 1 minute). Remove veggies from heat. Remove bread from oven and top with veggies. Put the top on your sandwich* and enjoy the cheesy, garlicky goodness!
betacalories441fat30gprotein20gcarbs24gmoreMotion Mom http://www.motionmom.com/
- *If you like you can put the sandwich back in the skillet and brown the outsides to make it extra crunchy and delicious!