It’s nearly March now and if you set a fitness or weight loss goal, chances are you already gave up. 1 in 3 people ditch their new years resolutions by the end of January and 73% of people who create resolutions give up on them before reaching their goal. This probably isn’t news to you. Many of you have experienced this first hand. It’s the kind of thing that happens before you know it and can ruin your whole view of leading a healthy lifestyle. So I’m going to give you a step by step into how to set goals that you will actually stick to!
How to Set Achievable Goals:
- Focus on improving your health. Too often resolutions and goals are based on things you’d like to change about your body instead of leading a healthier, happier life. Before you make a goal, ask yourself if it’s based on improving your quality of life or rooted in your insecurities. Treat your body well because you love it, not because you hate it.
- Set mini goals. Little wins like working out regularly and feeling healthier, more alert or getting good sleep are great goals to keep you motivated. If you are stuck on your goal being based on weight loss, you can focus on a general weight loss goal. Such as losing a few pounds each month.
- Implement changes gradually. Start with one or two simple changes like eating more vegetables, drinking more water or being more active. Once you feel comfortable that you have successfully implemented those goals, add another and another until before you know it, you have a totally different, healthier lifestyle!
- Create or adopt a mantra. This is my favorite. Your mantra is an affirmation that you tell yourself over and over again. It will gradually turn from a mantra into a belief into reality. Here’s a few I love:
- I am strong, I am beautiful, I am enough
- I am fulfilled, I am fearless
- I am feeling healthier and stronger with each day that passes
- My health is improving and so is my life
- Everything I eat heals me and nourishes me
- I am choosing progress over perfection
- I can do this. I am doing this. Healing is happening right now
- I am feeling healthy focused and determined
- Stay away from the scale! This is hard, I know! Put the scale somewhere it’s hard to get to so that it doesn’t tempt you! Pull your scale out once a month and no more than that! Your weight loss is a consequence of a healthier lifestyle and is important, but it shouldn’t be your focus. When weight loss becomes your focus, you lose sight of your path to get there. Put all your effort into accomplishing your goal and be pleasantly surprised when you get there. You will spend more time enjoying your life and less time stressing about your progress.
Too many people spend their time trying to reach their goals by obsessing over their weight and depriving their bodies. You don’t have to eat baked chicken and broccoli every day to lose weight, live healthier and feel better every day! Your body works best when you eat a variety of foods and focus on finding the foods that add to your health. Take your time and figure out how to make it work for you and your family. Follow your path to a healthier life, not someone else’s!